As the demographic face of our nation changes, the orthopaedic community is evolving to reflect and adapt to these critical shifts in the landscape. Recognizing the value and strength inherent in our diverse population is a first step. But our larger goal remains embracing solutions and mechanisms that give all people access to, and a place in, our healthcare system.
As our population grows more diverse, our need grows significantly for physicians who reflect this diversity are accessible to communities and patients with unique needs. The AAOS is taking the lead to ensure all people will be served appropriately by the field of orthopaedics.
Outlined as one of the AAOS' strategic goals, we are committed to fostering diversity in orthopaedics by:
- enhancing the delivery of culturally competent care
- supporting efforts to diversify the profession and orthopaedic work force
AAOS Now, the Academy's monthly news magazine, is dedicated to promoting topics related to the Diversity Advisory Board's strategic goals and activities. Explore recently published articles below that promote a more diverse, vibrant orthopaedic community.
Please share these articles with your colleagues. If you have an idea for an article or would like to submit an article, contact Dennis Coyle, Publisher, AAOS Now at email@example.com.
- Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality
- American Medical Association
- American Medical Student Association
- American Medical Student Association's Diversity Website
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Asian Pacific American Medical Student Association
- Aspiring Docs - A Campaign to Increase Diversity in Medicine
- Association of American Indian Physicians
- Community Catalyst "Building Consumer & Community Participation in the Shaping of Our Health System"
- Cross Cultural Health Care Program
- Gay & Lesbian Medical Association
- Harvard's Culturally Competent Care Resource Center
- Institute for Diversity in Healthcare Management
- Institute for Healthcare Communication
- J. Robert Gladden Multicultural Orthopaedic Society
- Latino Medical Student Association
- MomMD - Connecting Women in Medicine
- National Institute on Minority Health & Health Disparities
- National Medical Association
- National Patient Safety Foundation
- Nth Dimensions Educational Solutions
- Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation
- Orthopaedic Web Links
- Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- Student National Medical Association (SNMA)
- The Perry Initiative
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services