Plan, organize, direct and evaluate AAOS initiatives and programs designed to develop, validate, disseminate, and implement orthopaedic Performance Measures.
- Comply with the strategic plan as adopted by the Board of Directors and ensure that the organization-wide goals of diversity and unity are considered in all activities.
- Oversee the development of orthopaedic Performance Measures (PMs) and ensure appropriate processes for PM development are followed.
- Develop a process and criteria for recommending endorsement by the AAOS of PMs related to orthopaedics and musculoskeletal health developed by other organizations.
- Establish and maintain a relationship with the BOS, BOC, and BOD about Performance Measures development, dissemination, and implementation.
- Work with BOS subspecialty societies to develop processes and procedures for developing specialty-specific PMs and to devise a plan for collecting/measuring performance and quality data.
- Facilitate the validation, testing, endorsement, dissemination and implementation of PMs through AAOS members, BOS and BOC.
- Work with external stakeholder groups, including payers, purchasers, policymakers, patient advocacy groups, and healthcare provider rating agencies, to develop priority topic areas for orthopaedic Performance Measures.
- Investigate and attempt to influence the use of orthopaedic Performance Measures in emerging value-based payment strategies and public reporting of provider performance.
- Promotes the collection and implementation of patient reported outcomes data. Delineates pathways to collect outcomes data and assumes a leadership role in defining indicators of quality orthopaedic care. Fosters the development of tools and expertise to advance the delivery of high quality orthopaedic care to patients.
- Foster collaboration and coordinate activities with relevant Councils, Committees and Board Project Teams as it relates to the development, dissemination and implementation of performance measures.
- Collaborate with relevant Councils, Committees and Board Project Teams to educate and support AAOS members regarding the importance of performance measures as they relate to the value of delivery in orthopaedic care.
Reports to the Council on Research and Quality
Chair (Seat on Council on Research and Quality)
One (1) BOC Representative (Transition to one in 2018)
One (1) BOS Representative (Transition to one in 2018)
Five (5) Members-At-Large
One (1) Resident Member
Term of Office
For chair, two (2) years; eligible for reappointment for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
For members-at-large, two (2) years; eligible for reappointment for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
For resident-at-large, two (2) years; non-renewable.
Staff Liaison (title)
Performance Measures Specialist
Last Updated: 3/20/17