Committee on Biologics and Regenerative Medicine
Monitor and review scientific and regulatory developments in biologics and regenerative medicine as it relates to orthopaedic surgery.
1. Comply with the strategic plan as adopted by the Board of Directors and ensure that the organization-wide goals of diversity and unity are considered in all activities.
2. Review and monitor scientific and regulatory developments in biologics and regenerative medicine as it relates to orthopaedic surgery, advocating for policy consistent with the delivery of high quality musculoskeletal care.
3. Develop tools related to the safety and efficacy of biologics and regenerative medicine products in the practice of orthopaedic surgery.
4. Interact with standards and regulatory bodies (such as ASTM, International Organization for Standards, American Association of Tissue Banks, Food and Drug Administration) to promote the delivery of high quality musculoskeletal care.
5. Provide leadership within the AAOS on regulatory and advocacy issues where biologics and regenerative medicine products are involved.
6. Interact with other committees within the AAOS, other societies (such as the Society For Biomaterials, Tissue Engineering Society, etc.) and other stakeholders as appropriate to further the regulatory and advocacy agenda of the Committee on Biologics and Regenerative Medicine and the AAOS.
7. Provide governance structure and support to the Biologics Alliance. Serve as the conduit for all requests/proposals from the Biologics Alliance to CORQ and the AAOS Board of Directors. Designate committee members as AAOS delegates to the Biologics Alliance.
Reports to the Council on Research and Quality
Six (6) At Large Members [One designated as member of American Association of Tissue Banks (ATTB)]
One (1) ORS Representative
One (1) Consultant
One (1) Resident
Chair of the Biologics Alliance (ex-officio)
Term of Office
For chair, two (2) years; eligible for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
For members-at-large, two (2) years; eligible for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
Staff Liaison (title)
Senior Manager, Regulatory Science & Advocacy
Last Updated: 12/8/18