Mission Statement:Advance the application of scientific knowledge to improve the safety and effectiveness of musculoskeletal care.
Vision Statement:Optimizing musculoskeletal health and eliminating complications through science.
1. Comply with the strategic plan as adopted by the Board of Directors, and ensure that the organization-wide goals of diversity and unity are considered in all activities.
2. Educate the Fellowship, the public, and public policy-makers regarding clinical practice, regulatory affairs, standards, biologicals, patient safety, occupational health, and other related areas of importance in orthopaedic surgery. Facilitate and promote policies in these areas that are in the best interest of patients with musculoskeletal injuries and diseases.
3. Develop evidence-based clinical practice guidelines and appropriate use criteria. Recommend to national organizations for use by members and policy makers.
4. Disseminate and implement tools that facilitate physician use of AAOS's clinical practice guidelines and appropriate use criteria.
5. Promote the use of evidence-based medicine into the scientific programs, educational activities, or evaluation-based endeavors of the AAOS.
6. Promote the development of orthopaedic clinician-scientists, and provide programming to assist orthopaedic researchers to compete for grant funding, and maintain/expand relationships with the relevant agencies in our field (DOD, NIH, etc.)
7. Stimulate, coordinate, and support the work of the committees reporting to the Council on Research and Quality. Monitor committee programs, products, and services in the field of orthopaedic surgery for their effectiveness as they relate to the Fellowship and in health policy.
8. Develop and implement specific annual action plans, based on the Strategic Plan, research and funding priorities, with goals, budget summary, and annual evaluation criteria clearly defined.
Reports to the Academy Board of Directors.
Patient Safety Committee (7623)
Biomedical Engineering Committee (7881)
Biological Implants Committee (7882)
Research Development Committee (7883)
Committee on Evidence-Based Quality and Value (7887)
Clinical Practice Guidelines Section Leader (7887)
Appropriate Use Criteria Section Leader (7887)
Performance Measures Committee (7886)
Liaison Member from Diversity Advisory Board
Liaison Member from Women's Health Advisory Board
Liaison Member from Communications Cabinet
Liaison Member from Health Care Systems Committee
Board of Specialty Societies representative
Secretary of Board of Councilors
Two (2) Members-at-Large
Second Vice-President (Board Liaison)
Term of Office
For chair, two (2) years; eligible for reappointment for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
For members-at-large, two (2) years; eligible for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
For Committee Chairs, two (2) years; eligible for one (1) additional two (2) year term (coincides with term as chair of the respective committee).
Staff Liaison (title)
Director, Department of Research and Scientific Affairs