Develop both print publications and electronic and online publications (to include OKO) to meet the educational needs of orthopaedic surgeons, all in accordance with the essential policies and standards of ACCME.
1. Comply with the Strategic Plan as adopted by the Board of Directors, and ensure that the organization-wide goals of unity and diversity are considered in all activities.
2. Direct the overall publishing effort at AAOS, coordinate the various types of publications and create synergies with other education units of the Academy, such as the Annual Meeting and the self-assessment program.
3. Develop print, online and electronic publications to meet the educational needs of orthopaedic surgeons, and non-orthopaedic surgeons as appropriate, through the work of one or more subcommittees the committee may choose to establish.
4. Act as a resource for the Department of Publications, the Department of Communications and the Department of Electronic Media by helping to ensure that Academy publications are timely and of high quality.
5. Enlist the advice and efforts of the orthopaedic specialty societies in working towards a coordinated educational program in orthopaedic publishing.
6. Provide oversight to the editorial boards of the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and Orthopaedic Knowledge Online.
7. Work with education committees and councils, and the Communications Cabinet to coordinate Academy and Association publishing efforts.
8. Work closely with marketing staff to: 1) monitor needs of perspective customers, 2) monitor responses to publications, 3) evaluate new publications proposals in light of such research.
Reports to the Council on Education
Sixteen (16) members
Secretary, Board of Councilors (5630)
One (1) liaison to Patient Education Committee
One (1) Resident
Term of Office
For chair, two (2) years; eligible for one (1) additional two (2) year term
For members, two (2) years; eligible for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
Staff Liaison (title)
Director, Department of Publications