Board of Specialty Societies (BOS)
The purpose of the BOS is to facilitate communications between musculoskeletal specialty societies and the AAOS and among such societies; advise the AAOS Board of Directors regarding issues of concern of musculoskeletal specialty societies and their members; comment on AAOS resolutions and proposed amendments to the AAOS Bylaws; and foster unity and collaborative initiatives.
1. Comply with the Strategic Plan as adopted by the Board of Directors, and ensure that the organization-wide goals of unity and diversity are considered in all activities.
2. Act consistent with Article X of the Academy Bylaws and Article XV of the Association Bylaws.
3. Advise the AAOS Board of Directors regarding matters of importance to orthopaedic specialty societies and their members.
4. Provide a forum to exchange ideas, information, and concerns; serve as sounding board for various AAOS initiatives.
5. As determined by its officers, develop recommendations on AAOS resolutions, proposed amendments to the AAOS bylaws and Standards of Professionalism.
6. Assist in the implementation of AAOS policies and initiatives within the orthopaedic specialty societies.
7. Promote cooperation, unity and relationships between AAOS and the orthopaedic specialty societies.
8. Support communications and collaborative program development for AAOS councils and cabinets.
Reports to the AAOS Board of Directors
Each BOS member organization may have three (3) representatives:
- 3 Year Representative shall be an AAOS Fellow or Associate;
- 1 Year Representative must be an an AAOS Fellow or Associate, who shall be a society board member or liaison to the society’s board; and
- Society’s Executive Director (ED).
Chair (elected by BOS)
Chair-Elect (elected by BOS)
Secretary (elected by BOS)
Term of Office
Term begins at the end of the AAOS Annual Meeting. The 3 and 1 Year Representatives are
selected by their respective specialty societies. The 1 Year Representative shall
serve a one-year (1) term. The society may reappoint the individual for two (2)
additional one-year terms. The 3 Year Representative
shall serve one (1) three-year (3) term and the society may reappoint the
individual for one (1) additional three-year term.
The society’s Executive Director (ED) shall serve as a representative during his/her tenure as the society’s lead staff member.
Staff Liaison (title)
Director, Department of Governance
Last updated: 7/19/19